Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Annabelle at the Window - A Painting

My cat Annabelle is a large beautiful Raggamuffin - yes, that is the name of the breed, and so very fitting. She liked to chase snowflakes and butterflies, just a big sweet beautiful baby her entire life. She's bravely wrastled with snapping turtles (although it took a while to nurse her back to health after that one!), and has stared down coyotes and dogsover 10 times her size. Annabelle is 15 years old now, far older than me now - in cat years. Yesterday, Annabelle started falling down with each step, is barely eating and drinking, and just wants me to hold her and sleep where she purrs in my arms. As I write, she is sleeping, snug and warm under the warmth of an old gooseneck lamp. She'll sleep by me in my room again tonight where I can check on her during the night. I don't know what the morning will bring. I'm not ready to let her go - I need a few more days to let her know how very much I love her and will comfort and love her till the end. :.[

2 comments:

  1. Barbara,
    Our " Annabelle" (ms beasley)of 18 years, just went over the rainbow bridge,,,your story is so sweet & touched me..as our sweet kitty in her last days only wanted to be close to us..and she was.
    Thank you for sharing.
    hugz
    >^..^<

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will comfort her until the end but I'm sure you will love her beyond that and cats are smart, she knows. Prayers for you and your companion.

    ReplyDelete